Doran Consulting were appointed by BSG Civil Engineering to complete the Civil, Hydraulic, Structural & Process Design for the new plant.
Ballykelly WwTW required upgrading to meet the current and projected loadings and to ensure compliance with the discharge consent and with EU Water quality standards.
'The £5million investment to upgrade Ballykelly Wastewater Treatment Works will provide a new sustainable wastewater treatment approach, utilising reed beds as part of the treatment process, providing a natural, long-term sustainable and resilient solution. This major investment also includes a 100kW solar energy system to help power the new works with solar energy.'- niwater.com
The new plant is designed for a population of 5,000 and represents a capital investment of £5 Million by NI Water that included for:
- A new conventional activated sludge plant as secondary Treatment
- Return Activated Sludge/Surplus Activated Sludge Pumping Station
- New Sludge Holding Tank (SHT)
- Two Integrated Constructed Wetlands (ICW’s) to provide tertiary treatment prior to discharge
- A new Motor Control Centre (MCC) with PLC and HMI control systems